Monday, May 30, 2011

Small fish, meet big pond: Swansea City

WALES! How many times will I type that? Lots! Promotion playoff winners. Usually this means they're in for some tough sleddin.

Location: WALES! They're from Wales, a premier league first. Swansea is the home of Catherine Zeta-Jones and a band called The Pooh Sticks.

Nickname: The Swans. I think it's exactly the same as the way Utah are the Utes. I mean what's a Ute? What's a swan? We just don't know.

Stately, Non-Commercial Stadium Name: Deceptive Non-Commercial FAIL. Liberty Stadium, named after a property development company and not the concept. Originally named White Rock Stadium, deceptively NOT after crack.

Crest: Is that a duck? I don't get it. Maybe a "swan" is some kind of welsh duck. Pretty sure the neck is meant to look like an "S." Are the feathery things supposed to evoke a "W?" Mysteries abound.

What they'll bring to the table (metaphorically!): WALES! I'm excited about WALES! I think they try to kick the ball around a little bit, but I think a lot of their success this year was defensively grounded. Could be boring. Their uniforms are all-white (like some kind of weird albino duck) which isn't that exciting. Still, WALES!

What they'll bring to the table (literally!): Hull survived two years as promotion playoff winners. Most don't make it that long.

WALES!

1 comment: