Saturday, April 30, 2011

Small fish, meet big pond: QPR

So exciting. These were fun and I'm all about fun. Welcome back, premier league prattle.

When I was a little kid I liked the mid-90's premier league version of Queens Park Rangers because they have a goofy uber-english name. Now they'll be goofin all the way to the bank next year as the almost-certain winners of the second tier.

Location: West London. Much like west Auburn, the home of the city's pampered elite. Becoming the third team from the single London borough of Hammersmith & Fulham (along with Chelsea & Fulham). Specifically they're in Shepherd's Bush. Hehe. Bush.

Nickname: The Hoops. That's what they call horizontal stripes. Adorable.

Stately, Non-Commercial Stadium Name: Loftus Road. I'm told that stadium tours can be booked through the club!

Crest: I'm afraid if I touch it, my hand will get slapped. Here's the old one.

What they'll bring to the table (metaphorically!): Another poorly-supported distraction for rich people? I don't know. All I could find in the way of famous fans were members of obscure bands called Depeche Mode, Deep Purple, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, and The Cure. Also too the non-George-Michael member of Wham! They have decent players and are owned by the dude that runs Formula One racing or something. Honestly, I'm not that excited.

What they'll bring to the table (literally!): I'm guessing they'll have enough money boned into them by the bigwigs that they'll make a meager existence in the premier league for a couple of years at least.

That WAS fun!

1 comment:

  1. I am excited for this series to return.

    The new logo is better, but it is a little too corporate/over-done. The old one has a certain minimalist charm that I like.

    ReplyDelete