Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Mountain Dew Throwdown would be another good one

Pepsi is now selling two of its products with real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, and the names will be Pepsi Throwback and Mountain Dew Throwback. I'm pleased about this for a couple of reasons. I'm one of those anti-HFCS types to begin with, both on the principle of being anti-corn lobby but also for health reasons (which I admit I don't really know enough about to make an informed decision). But I'm also a little upset. Is Pepsi Throwback the best name they can come up with? That's stupid. At least it invites easy nicknames ("More like a Pepsi Throw-UP! Am I right?").

More importantly, my favorite soft drink, Dr Pepper, is still HFCS. The Cadbury people, or Snapple Group, or whoever they are, are already on my bad side for their incoherent timing in marketing the Dr Pepper flavors, particularly the sublime-but-discontinued Dr Pepper Berries & Cream. This would be a good way to get the all-important white graduate student demographic back.

Also too, did you know there was an entire website devoted to "a variety of carbonated soft drinks, fruit drinks, and other types of liquid refreshment"? Well, there is!

1 comment: