Friday, April 17, 2009

The Owen Fulrice Project: Update

From one of my numerous email sources:
I used to have all of the "Just Ask Owen" column, but I had a hard drive crash a few months back and I don't think they survived that. I know that there were some political columns, stuff done in 1996, that
were archived somewhere on the Net; some quotations, too.

I also know that there was a blog post somewhere that had Owen Fulrice's real name, Jody Stitt; he's a untenured English professor in a Southern university now. I haven't researched far enough into that; imagine a scholarly paper written like these columns, Frederico Jalapeno being cited, etc.
A Jody Stitt did not win the English Core Teaching Award in 2006, but was a finalist. Jody Stitt: not a lot of help.

But! Until about 2008 UAB had a Joseph Stitt teaching. People seemed to like his classes. He is a 1995 graduate of the University of Alabama, which with working at UAB fits both the time and the place, plus: "Stitt is a writer and editor who has published book reviews and essays for several Birmingham area publications. He has also been a consultant for GreenThink.com." Here's something by a Joseph Stitt that certainly sounds like Owen Fulrice.

The biography here makes me think we've got our man:
Joseph Stitt grew up in Cullman, Alabama, went to college at the University of Alabama (B.A. and M.A. in English, 1993 and 1995), taught composition for a year at Wallace State College, then worked for four years as a writer and editor for the web sites Hecklers Online and Greenthink.com. For the last two years he has taught composition and literature at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. His story “Sunset for a Tennessee Mule” was in the spring issue of the Aura Literary Arts Review. He has published numerous essays, articles, book reviews, and parodies both in print and online.
Next up, I guess, is sitting outside his house in my car, waiting for him to come outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment