Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tuesdays with John

THE COFFEESHOP, or, JOHN THE BIGOT:
A play in one act

[SCENE: a suburban chain coffee shop, empty except for the BARISTA behind the counter - an extremely pleasant, college-aged woman wearing an apron.]

[enter: JOHN]

JOHN: I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ARE OPENING ANOTHER TACO BELL ON MY OWN STREET! HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS? THE LAST THING WE NEED IN THIS TOWN IS ANOTHER HAVEN FOR THOSE BORDER CROSSERS!

BARISTA: Welcome to The Daily Grind, America's third-fastest growing coffee chain! How can I help you?

JOHN: YOUNG LADY HELLO. I NEED SOME SUSTENANCE FOR MY WALK HOME, NOW THAT I HAVE TO GO TEN BLOCKS OUT OF THE WAY TO AVOID THAT CHINESE LAUNDRY.

BARISTA: Um, okay. Would you like something to drink? We're famous for our fresh ground coffee!

JOHN: WELL MAYBE. I TRY TO AVOID HOT, COLORED DRINKS. IS IT GOOD?

BARISTA: Absolutely! We use only the finest Arabica.

JOHN [sputtering]: ARABICA! WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU? ARE YOU PEOPLE TERRORIST SYMPATHIZERS?

BARISTA: No, no, sir, it's the species of coffee plant it comes from. It's not from anywhere in Arabia.

JOHN: WHEW THAT WAS A CLOSE ONE.

BARISTA: It's fair trade coffee from from Central America!

JOHN: SWEET ANGLO JESUS! I CAN'T DRINK THAT.

BARISTA: Oh, I'm sorry sir -- I guess you don't want a cappuccino then, either.

JOHN: THOSE SPAGHETTI-BENDERS ARE IN LEAGUE WITH THE COLOMBIANS? I'VE GOT TO GET THIS INTO THE NEWSLETTER! IF I EVER GET HOME, I MEAN. WHAT ELSE DO YOU HAVE TO DRINK?

BARISTA: Maybe you'd like some hot tea? Our most popular blend is English Breakfast.

JOHN: IT FIGURES THOSE LIMEY POOFS WOULD BE INVOLVED. WELL, THEY'RE MOSTLY WHITE IN ENGLAND, RIGHT? I'LL TAKE IT.

BARISTA: Great! I'll go get that started. But did you want something to eat? If so, a bagel might hit the spot, and we've got six --

JOHN: A BAGEL! DO I LOOK LIKE A BANKER TO YOU?

BARISTA: Or, uh, we've got some grilled panini sandwiches.

JOHN [looking faint, leaning against the counter for support]: MORE PAPISTS IN THIS FAIR LAND!

BARISTA: Er, it's a little late in the day, but we've got these new breakfast quesadillas --

JOHN: [vomits]

BARISTA: Oh my God! Are you alright?

JOHN: YES, YES, I'M FINE. I JUST NEED SOMETHING TO EAT. HOW ABOUT THOSE MUFFINS? GOOD OLD AMERICAN MUFFINS.

BARISTA: Yes sir! I'm afraid all we've got out right now is lemon poppy-seed.

JOHN: POPPY SEED! I WON'T SUPPORT THOSE TAFFY-PULLING TURKS!

BARISTA: Um, let me check in the back to see if we've got any blueberry.

JOHN: THAT'S MIGHTY WHITE OF YOU.

[exit: BARISTA]

JOHN: WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO, WHEN YOU CAN'T GET A GOOD, DECENT, GOD-FEARING AMERICAN BEVERAGE?

[enter: EVE MENDEZ with two BODYGUARDS]

JOHN: OH NO. KEEP IT TOGETHER JJ.

EVE MENDEZ: John, is that you?

JOHN: OH, HELLO, YES, HI EVE.

EVE MENDEZ: John, you look good! How are things going?

JOHN: OH, YOU KNOW, THE USUAL. I STARTED A MAGAZINE.

EVE MENDEZ: Oh wow, how exciting!

JOHN: WELL IT'S JUST, UH, ONLINE, BUT WE HAD 320 UNIQUE VISITORS LAST MONTH.

EVE MENDEZ: That sound fascinating! We need to get together some time so you can tell me more about it.

JOHN: OH, YEAH, NO, I DON'T KNOW, EVE, A LOT HAS CHANGED SINCE YOU LEFT ME AT THAT RESTAURANT.

EVE MENDEZ: Oh, John, I feel awful about that every day. I really believed I was just going to the restroom. You know how things are. I never meant to hurt you. I certainly didn't want you to wait all night for me.

JOHN: AND THE NEXT DAY.

EVE MENDEZ: But we had some fun, didn't we? Wait here, let me go order my coffee.

JOHN [aside, to himself]: CONCENTRATE, JJ, KEEP IT COOL. THAT'S HOW THEY GET YOU. KEEP STRONG.

EVE MENDEZ [writing something on a piece of paper]: I'm shooting a Orangina ad this month in town. This is the number where I'll be staying. Give me a call! We can have dinner, drinks. Maybe even [lowering her voice and leaning toward John seductively] another night in the hot tub.

JOHN: YES I WOULD LIKE THAT VERY MUCH I -- NO! I MUST BE STRONG! YOU AND YOUR NAFTA SUPERHIGHWAY WILL BE THE END OF US ALL! AWAY FROM ME, FOUL TEMPTRESS!

[JOHN shoves EVE MENDEZ to the ground]

EVE MENDEZ: What! How dare you! Leo, Toots, show this guy some manners!

[the two BODYGUARDS begin to beat JOHN in the kidneys]

JOHN: OW!

[enter: BARISTA]

BARISTA: We were out of English Breakfast, so I made you some Indian spice chai. I hope that's alright! Sir?

[curtains]

3 comments:

  1. Is Eve Mendez the generic knock-off of Eva Mendes? Either way, I'm glad you're not falling into her spelling trap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also too, John sounds like Ignatius Reilly from "A Confederacy of Dunces."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't want a lawsuit on my hands. Also I wasn't sure how to spell it.

    ReplyDelete